NGO Report to the 2nd and 3rd Periodic Report of Germany on
the Convention on the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
StopIGM.org / Zwischengeschlecht.org
CRPD Timeline Germany 2018 – ca.
• Above July 2018 NGO Report provides solid evidence of ongoing IGM practices in Germany.
• In September 2018 during its 20th Session, the Committee heard NGOs in a private meeting. As requested by the Coutry rapporteurs, our Statement focused of the intersectionality of intersex and disability: >>> StopIGM.org Statement DOCX | PDF.
• The Committee then drafted the List of Issues Prior to Reporting (LOIPR) with questions for Germany, which were published early in October 2018 and include tough questions on intersex and IGM under CRPD art. 17 (CRPD/C/DEU/QPR/2-3, para 16):
Protecting the integrity of the person (art. 17)
16. Please inform the Committee about:
(a) Measures to repeal legislation still authorizing the sterilization of persons without their consent, but with the consent of a third party;
(b) Initiatives to implement its recommendations relating to intersex children (CRPD/C/DEU/CO/1, para 38 (d)).
• The State party will now have to answer these questions in writing in its
• Thereafter, NGOs will have another possibility to submit NGO reports.
• Finally the actual State review will take place in Geneva, hopefully followed by yet another severe reprimand for IGM practices for Germany.