2019 CCPR Spain LOIPR Intersex NGO Report
[ Español ]
NGO Report (for LOIPR) to the 7th Periodic Report of Spain on the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (CCPR)
StopIGM.org / Zwischengeschlecht.org
CCPR Timeline Spain 2019 – ca.
• Above August 2019 NGO Report provides solid evidence of ongoing IGM practices in Spain, and lack of effective legislative protections for intersex children despite various regional laws falsely claiming to “eradicate the practice”.
• During its 127th Session in November 2019, the Committee drafted the List of Issues (LOIPR) with questions for Spain, including strong ones about intersex and IGM, referring to the non-derogable art. 7 (cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment, and involuntary medical or scientific experimentation), as well as to art. 17 (arbitrary or unlawful interference with privacy) and art. 24 (child protection) (CCPR/C/ESP/QPR/7, para 10) [unofficial translation from original Spanish]:
Children with variations of sex characteristics (intersex) (arts. 7, 17 and 24)
10. Please provide information on measures taken to limit or prohibit medically unnecessary and irreversible surgical interventions and other unnecessary medical treatment of newborns and intersex children until they reach the age at which they can give their free, prior and informed consent. Please also provide information on measures taken to facilitate effective access to justice and redress, including rehabilitation, for those who have undergone such surgeries or other medical treatment without their consent.
• Spain will then have to answer these questions in its State Report.
• NGOs will then have another opportunity to submit NGO reports. Therafter, Spain will be examined in Geneva, arguably in 2021 – hopefully to be followed by yet another strong reprimand for IGM practices for Spain!