2017 CAT Swiss LOIPR Intersex NGO Report
NGO Report to the 8th Periodic Report of Switzerland on the Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (CAT)
Zwischengeschlecht.org / StopIGM.org
SI Selbsthilfe Intersexualität
CAT Timeline Switzerland 2017 – ca.
• Above June 2017 NGO Report provides solid evidence of ongoing IGM practices in Switzerland, no legal protections for children at risk and no access to redress and justice for survivors, in clear contradiction of the 2015 CAT binding recommendations for Switzerland.
• In December 2017 during its 62nd Session, the Committee drafted the List of Issues Prior to Reporting (LOIPR) with questions for Switzerland.
• January 2018 the LOIPR (PDF) was published, including a tough question on intersex and IGM under CAT Article 16 “Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment” (CAT/C/CHE/QPR/8, para 27):
“27. In light of the Committee’s previous concluding observations (para. 20), please indicate the measures taken to guarantee respect for the physical integrity and autonomy of intersex individuals, so that no one is subjected during childhood to non-urgent medical or surgical procedures intended to determine the sex of the child.”
• Juli 2019 the State report was published, including the known excuses “our experts told us they stopped” and "instead of inhuman traetment, let's rather talk about legislation making it easier to change the sex in the Civil Registry" (CAT/C/CHE/8, paras 163-69).
• NGOs will have another possibility to submit NGO reports.
• Finally the actual State review will take place in Geneva, hopefully followed by yet another severe reprimand for IGM practices for Switzerland.